OMEGA-GLYDE ® is trade name for PTFE (Polytetrafluoroethylene) – originally given the trade name of Teflon.
OMEGA-GLYDE ® PTFE Sheet, Rod and Tube is resistant to practically every chemical and has a surface as slippery as ice on ice to which no substance will adhere. Chemically inert up until high temperatures and pressures including being able to perform in harsh UV conditions for long periods, OMEGA-GLYDE ® PTFE is an ideal gasket material. It is completely non-toxic, has unmatched anti-adhesive properties and its coefficient of friction is the lowest known amongst solids.
MAIN ADVANTAGES OF OMEGA-GLYDE ® PTFE Sheet, Rod and Tube
- Very high chemical resistance
- Lowest co-efficient of friction
- Continuous operating use at high temperature
- Physiologically inert – unaffected by almost all chemicals
- Low flammability
- Excellent dielectric properties
- Easy machinability
WEAKNESSES OF OMEGA-GLYDE ® PTFE Sheet, Rod and Tube
- Low mechanical properties
- Relatively high cost
- Poor dimensional stability due to the high elastic deformation and high coefficient of thermal expansion
- PTFE extrusions are likely to contain residual stresses
- Non-stick surface because adhesives cannot be used
APPLICATIONS OF OMEGA-GLYDE ® PTFE Sheet, Rod and Tube
- In The Chemical Industry: Solid pipe and fittings; Liner for steel pipe and fittings, hoses, pumps, valves; Glass backed sheet for lining vessels; Mass transfer tower packing; Gaskets and spacers; Valve components; Expansion bellows; Shaft packing; Tubing; Heat shrinkable tubing; Sample collection media.
- In The Mechanical And Architectural
- Industry: Seals; Piston rings; Bushings; Bearings; Slide bearings; Coated fabrics for water repellency, stain protection; Coating films for panels, signs etc.
- Electrical Industry:Wire and cable insulation; Fibre optics coating.
RELATED PRODUCTS OF OMEGA-GLYDE ® PTFE Sheet, Rod and Tube
- OMEGA-GLYDE ® can be produced with the addition of fillers and alloys to crest compounds with improved physical properties to suit particular applications. It can result in increased stiffness and hardness, reduction in wear and friction, improved dimensional stability and improved resistance to cold flow or creep.
- OME-GLYDE ® GGA: (Off white) Glass filled – improved creep resistance at high and low temperatures, is chemically stable, with little effect on electrical properties. It has improved wear and friction properties.
- OMEGA-GLYDE ® LG: (Off white) Low glass – used in applications such as piston rings, valve seats, shaft seals and bridge bearings that require high load support.
- OMEGA-GLYDE ® HG: (Off white) High glass – used in applications such as bearing pads, valve seats, shaft seals and electrical insulators.
- OMEGA-GLYDE ® C: (Black) with carbon – Inert alloy which improves creep and wear resistance. It is anti-static and has self-lubricating properties. Hard and soft alloys are available which permit close tolerance machining.
- OMEGA-GLYDE ® B: (Bronze) with bronze – Best creep resistance of alloys. It has high thermal conductivity, good wear properties for hydraulic system components, low chemical resistance. Not suited for electrical applications.
- OMEGA-GLYDE ® GR: (White) with graphite – Used in applications such as slide bearings, piston seal wear bands and bearing rings.
- OMEGA-GLYDE ® CER: (White) with ceramic – Used in applications such as hydraulic seals, pneumatic seals, high duty bearings and pump deals.
- Fluorinated Ethylene Propylene (FEP)
- Perfluoroalkoxy (PFA)
- PTFE Chemically Modified
DOWNLOAD – More information, technical specifications and delivery program